Friday, January 30, 2009

Grandma

This past week I went to Loveland, CO to celebrate the life of my grandmother, Katherine Joslyn. She passed away last week and our family all got together this week for her funeral. She was a great woman of God and was an example of being a servant to a lot of people. She also loved to share her faith. I learned this week that Grandma ran off to marry her husband and that her parents did not approve. My grandfather was a not a Christian when they met and she was determined to share her faith. The story goes that she would read the Bible to him so much that he would cover his head at night with a pillow to try to keep from hearing. Eventually, God got through and because of my grandmother’s faithfulness, he became a Christian. (There’s that faithfulness thing popping up again!) I also learned that my grandmother was very competitive and liked to win. She passed that on to a lot of us. I like to say we are not stubborn, but driven. My grandmother was a wonderful person who loved her family very much. She will be missed.

We were fortunate to get to spend time with each other this week and I will treasure the time that we had. I can not remember the last time that all of the six cousins were together. There was a picture in the slide show from about 20 years ago and I’m pretty sure that was the last time. I’ve learned that these times are precious and that we should not take them for granted. I also learned this week that we are family and were put together for a reason. We may not do things the same way or have the same opinions on everything, but God has given us who we have for a reason and we should be thankful.


Beautiful snow.

Here is my newest niece, Evelyn Olivia Fought. This was the first time I had seen her. She is beautiful. Haven't figured out how to rotate the picuture. I'll work on that.

All six cousins.



Ben, Christy, Dad, Mom, and Terri. It's been a while since we've been able to take a picture like this.



1 comment:

Ashley said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. Did she go to church with the Lauterbachs??
Your words were a beautiful tribute to her life.:)