Monday, June 1, 2009

What a big girl!

It's hard to believe our sweet girl is old enough to be in a toddler bed. We decided to go ahead and convert her crib to get her use to sleeping in a toddler bed before our big trip to Savannah. Nana has a blow up travel bed all ready for her. After getting some great advice from a friend who has done this before (Thanks so much Emily!) we decided to give it a go. I think it helped that we used her crib and really just lowered it a little more and took away part of one side, but we tried to make it a big deal none the less. While Gabe was converting the crib we played on the mattress and talked about Sadie sleeping in her "big girl bed." We also talked a lot about her staying in the bed until Mama or Daddy came in. (That was another tip from Emily and I'm really glad we did it.) It's great not to have to worry about her getting into things while she is supposed to be sleeping. So anyway, the first nap went great and I was quick to go in as soon as I heard her to praise her for staying in the bed. When it came time to go to bed that night she really did fine going to sleep, but when we went to check on her she was asleep on the floor with her blanket. I had put pillows on the floor by the side that was open, but I think she had to get out of bed to have her blanket with her and to be asleep in the middle of the room! We put her back in bed and when we woke up the next morning she was asleep on the floor again. So I was a little discouraged, but just kept telling her that she was to stay in bed until we came to get her. We weren't home for her nap on Sunday so I was especially nervous putting her to bed, but she did great. I think she was really tired since she didn't get much of a nap and went right to sleep. Gabe checked on her several times after I went to bed and got up once during the night to check on her. Everytime she was in her bed and was there when I went to get her this morning. So, I have to say it was not as difficult as I thought it would be and she is getting the feel for it. I know we still have one more move when she needs a regular bed, but for now...Sadie is adjusting just fine, it's me seeing her turn into a little girl that is a little more difficult.



Showing off her "big girl bed."

Practicing going "Night, Night!"


2 comments:

emily said...

WHAT A BIG GIRL is right!!! way to go, sadie! :) i'm so glad that this transition was a success, christy!

Minda Ciardi said...

Tell Sadie that she needs to have a talk with Miss Lilly about toddler bed "procedures"....we have been having difficulties for sure (especially at nap time). What a good girl Sadie is! :)